Author Topic: Epic v1.0 Released  (Read 9132 times)

General BlackDragon

• Administrator
  • BZ2 Fanatic
  • Nu Ani Anquietas
    • View Profile
    • ZEMod Forum
Epic v1.0 Released
« on: July 16, 2010, 08:47:43 PM »
Well, you've all waited, you've all been patient. Now, your reward is here. The first release of EPIC mod!

This mod contains IA/MPI/ST with 3 full races, EDF, Scion, and Cerberi. There are some later plans to possibly add in SWARM and for development of EPIC FLEET map pack, (Epic's Space battle maps). These will take some more time to get working though. For now, go out, and enjoy 2.5KM view distances, realistic weapon ranges, and some beefed up effects.

>> Download Mirror 1 << EXE Version
>> Download Mirror 2 << EXE Version
>> Zip Version << Zip Version

Please report any bugs/suggestions to the forum >> Here <<. Please don't be afraid to use it. EPIC can't become better without your feedback!

See you on the field :)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 11:20:00 AM by General BlackDragon »

*****General BlackDragon*****

• BZ2 Fanatic
    • View Profile
Re: Epic v1.0 Released
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 11:01:14 AM »
Excellent look and feel to it all, really gives you the impression the terrain is stretching out for miles.  A few little things like floaty physics (maybe on purpose?) and satellite view distance (fixed in later patches?) don't detract from the overall "Epic" feel.

One question I always wanted to ask...  and I might know the answer already...   it seems like the alternative to enlarged terrain is miniature units... why not just drop the overall size of all objects by 2/3?   I know that, from my own experience, they seem very small already (as seen in Max) and there are particle distance issues and all, so maybe that's why...

So, in all, awesome job.  I've always wanted flight sim view distances in a game like BZ, and now we have it!

-Av-

Slaor

• Time is NOT Money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 11:06:54 AM »
it seems like the alternative to enlarged terrain is miniature units... why not just drop the overall size of all objects by 2/3?

It didn't give the same feel of scale - Sabres felt like Sedans ;)* I originally had an idea about facing them off against Cerberi in a city on Earth with conventional forces as well, to really enhance that feel of driving something seriously buffed. The city props are likely in the pak file...

Also in 1.2 you couldn't scale the pilot if you still wanted a sniper rifle that worked...

Floaty physics is due to slightly higher altitudes for hovers - mainly cos in 1.2 when I set up most of the unit physics a wingman running you over in a scout at that speed was almost invariably fatal...hovers at 2 metres altitude tend to clear pilots. 1.3 has fixed that issue to some degree I notice, it might be worth dropping them a touch.

* Dunno if you ever watched Macross? The design of the Veritechs walker mode always struck me as a bit silly and cartoonish, until I learned that they were designed to fight toe to toe with 10 metre tall giants...BZ2 has always had issues with conceptual scale cos it's so abstract - but for Epic EDF/Scion Vs Cerberi and Swarm which are Godzilla monstrous, I really wanted to upscale the big stuff in response. I remember first seeing the Commander in TA on a city map in Core Contingency next to some cars - finally a frame of reference, he's actually THAT big?!? Sabre is a MBT, they are big. I wanted the Bulldog to totally dwarf a "conventional" MBT at the same scale.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 12:23:52 PM by Slaor »
And remember kids - Always explain, explore and expose that which is FORBIDDEN.

General BlackDragon

• Administrator
  • BZ2 Fanatic
  • Nu Ani Anquietas
    • View Profile
    • ZEMod Forum
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 11:22:38 AM »
I like the floaty feel.

On starport, when I first played it, the first thing I did before even deploying my recy, was Ramp up the hill and try to "land" inside the starport hanger. It only took me 4 tries :)

*****General BlackDragon*****

Slaor

• Time is NOT Money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 11:27:31 AM »
That's one thing that BZ has always had in spades is fun vehicles. It's like Command and Conquer meets Tony Hawk.

Slaor

• Time is NOT Money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 12:15:07 PM »
There's a few things that may not be immediately obvious.

EDF and Scion tugs have been reconfigured as fast haulers that can carry assault units and walkers etc. useful on big maps and over water.

The fighter class aircraft are generally much more effective at anti-aircraft roles than anti-tank, use them as a bomber shield.

Scion Hero units, built from Enclave are designed to assist Scions during the game in various ways and are quite powerful for their scrap cost. Bashar is a stealth commando with a long range rail gun, Padishah is a fast healer and Seraph is a powerful combat and assault unit. The Scions short range assault tactics are naturally disadvantaged at Epic ranges, use Heros to balance the playing field a bit and introduce some unpredictability to your assaults.

EDF Barracks and Scion Enclave build panels can both be accessed by pressing the "4" key, or by spacebar selection with reticle. An updated interface is on the cards at some stage to provide barracks structures with a HUD icon.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 12:37:06 PM by Slaor »

Slaor

• Time is NOT Money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 08:59:06 PM »
It's been reported that some users may experience problems with 1.3 on Windows 7.

1.3 wants to use the "my Games" folder in docs to write saved games and logs and pilot files etc. Sometimes Win7 will refuse to allow this - right click on the epic shortcut and RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR should help.

Nielk1

• Administrator
  • BZ2 Fanatic
  • The ISDF Man
    • View Profile
    • Battlezone Complex
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 12:20:51 AM »
Which is odd because it uses that folder because if it didn't you would HAVE TO use run as admin. The entire point was to avoid that.

Click on the image...
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

Slaor

• Time is NOT Money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 07:47:12 AM »
Yeah might be a case of odd user permissions etc, but it sorted out Stebos login issues so figured it best be mentioned. I'm kinda old skoole in that regard, dunno about this new-fangled integrationy stuff. I like all my files in same spot where I put them or else I'd buy a pretty Mac or something...

• BZ2 Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 07:34:33 AM »
I couldn't make a new pilot for Epic until running the game as an Admin...  so I reset all permissions to give all users full access.  This let me make a pilot but not save a game.  (no error message either, looked for all the world like a successful save)

Now I just run it as Admin...  :P

-Av-

Mojo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 07:51:47 PM »
I have been playing EPIC for the last week, its awesome, nice job guys.

Might there be a manual or something that describes the races, building trees and vehicle capabilities?

Mojo